Thursday, June 9, 2011

Let Your Light Shine...

Nelson Mandela used this quote in his inaugural speech in 1994 and after discovering it, I had to share it!

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?' Actually, who are you not to be? YOU are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presences automatically liberates others."

I love this! I believe 110% that one person can easily turn the day around for another person. How many times have you seen someone with a smile radiating from their face and smiled yourself because you just couldn't help it? I believe that laughter is infectious and when you see someone glowing with happiness, you can't help but feel better. I also believe that way too many of us (myself included) stop from becoming who we truly want to be because we are scared of what others will think or if they will judge us. I had a conversation yesterday with one of my students that left me feeling full of questions. I see in her that she is screaming to become free. She is wanting to become her true self yet holds back for fear she will disappoint those around her. I explained to her that she has to ultimately make herself happy and do what is best for HER in order to find what she is looking for in life. I know I am guilty of hiding myself from others because showing your dreams and aspirations to others can be down right nerve wracking. But what I have learned (and wish I would have practiced looong ago) is that people are either going to like your or not. So why not allow them to like you for you, your true self? You will find more often than not, that those around you will be more attracted and more apt to wanting to be around you when you are 100% comfortable in your own skin than trying to be someone you are not. Now it has taken me 25 years and many rocky spots to figure this out but I wouldn't have it any other way (Mr. O's favorite saying!) My wish for this student and for all of you trying to find your place in this world is to stick to what you believe in and that should be yourself! 

Yesterday was a crazy but very productive day. It was a leg day and we all know what that means! LOL  I saw a face in the gym that I had not seen in about a week...Robin! The crew was all there but it was a mixed workout for some did legs while others worked shoulders. The intensity and programming behind our leg day changed a tad and when I looked over and saw B.C. AND Robin both laying on the floor, I knew it was going to be a good workout! We plowed through about 6 different lifts all while incorporating plyo's and a run outside to top her off. I felt really good about the workout and had enough energy to make it through my first two-a-day! Soo much energy that Robin insisted I tell him what I was on so he could have some...Well my friend, its a thing called life! :) P.s. Good luck today! Know that B.C., Batman, and I are all thinking about you and the little one. Keep us posted! After the gym I went up to my parent's to get Stella and have some good ol' cheesecake! (Yep back on modi cheats) Chatted with my folks and then hit the road for home to food prep, pack my bags for this morning, do way too many dishes and crawl into bed only to wake up a couple hours later. Oh my goodness... back at it again! I also have to mention that the day was brightened by an unexpected present at my doorstep and it made me smile. Shoot its still making me smile!

Ciao for now,   J

No comments:

Post a Comment