Sunday, October 30, 2011

Love Yourself...

Self criticism is by far, I think, the biggest obstacle to overcome no matter how strong you may appear to the outside world. I know it is something I am extremely guilty of, almost daily, and isn't it a common saying, "we are our own worst critics"? Well I have to admit that being my own worst mean girl is hindering and counterproductive! There have been countless times I think to myself after a workout, Did I push myself hard enough? Did I do everything I should have or could have? And if I allow myself to say no, I beat myself up for it and it ruins the next workout. Then there is school. Did I study enough? Did I do everything possible to get the outcome I wanted? If I answer no, then I dwell on that error for hours and let me tell you, that is way too long to spend on something minuscule like that. Have you ever wondered how life would look if you showed some self compassion and love for yourself? I have and more recently I have discovered that my thought transfer into how I feel physically. If I get up in the morning and dread my first cardio, chances are it will suck, which ruins my day. However, if I get up thankful for another day and quit the trash talking about myself, I have a killer workout and an even better day. As it turns out, caring about yourself is one of the best possible motivators for doing what's healthy for you rather than what's harmful to you. If I could give a gift to everyone around me, it would be just that. I would show them that by loving themselves and truly believing they are great, they can accomplish amazing things.

This past weekend, I was with the Save Fitness and Construction Zone competitors in Wenatchee. I was able to help some inspiring individuals and watch them rip it up on stage. I was sitting, admiring all the beautiful physiques when I started comparing myself to those around me. Now, I am still three weeks out, while these individuals are tapered and manipulated just right for the stage. We are in two very different phases of competing and I had to remind myself that soon enough I will be on that level, but until then, I have to be thankful for where I am and thankful for a solid 3 weeks left of training to get tight and right for the stage. This isn't an easy task but I will tell you one thing, it is definitely fuel for my fire and sparks that deep burning desire to get on stage better than before. Now is the time to love myself more than ever, to not only be a good example for others but to be successful in a few weeks.

Ciao for now,      J

No comments:

Post a Comment